Eldarin Lerya Vanda (E.L.V.) / Haltia Vapautusrintama (H.V.R.) / Elvish Liberation Front (E.L.F.)
A series of con-linguistic based meetings, collaborative language learning and activism centred around the minority Finnic-Ugric language of Quenya created by J.R.R. Tolkien in the early 20th century.
The meetings aim to look towards the constructed language of Quenya, the language of the High Elves in the Tolkien mythos, as an alternative to dominant language forms in use in Finland. Tolkien based Quenya grammatically and aesthetically on the Finnish language, it was the first literary based constructed language and shares many features derived from Finnish.
The E.L.V/H.V.R./E.L.F. aims to lobby on behalf of Quenyarin rights in Finland as a parallel to the rights of "real" marginalised language forms both national and international, to approach these concerns from the perspective of Elvish speakers in order to approach the issue from a distinct yet familiar position.
The idea is to bring into question the concept of linguistic indigeneity as well as dominant language forms through the proxy of a constructed language both regionally derived yet alien, to create a dialogue about the interrelation between culture and language in Finland.
The experiment will break up into 3 components, each taking 45 minutes up to an hour:
1) Collaborative Language Learning
- A short (5-10 minute) presentation will open this period, in which specific language features will be presented and discussed to direct the process.
- Participants will work collaboratively, round table, with resources both provided in print and online to learn aspects of Quenya.
- Assignments will be collaboratively designed.
2) Group discussion
- reflection on collaborative learnign section
- Off site actions
- Scenario development (Activities which will take place separate to the meetings)
- Discussion about real world languages both marginalised and dominant
- Discussion about constructed languages
3) Group activity
- Baking of Lambas bread
- Elvish Poetry recitals
- Conceptually derived elvish cultural activities
This experiment is not active.
There has been no activity towards this experiment during the past yli vuosi. The experiment is assumed to be completed or abandoned.
4 tapaamista toteutettu. 12 henkilöä osallistuu (9 henkilöä), and 12 vieraslippua.